Just the night before this, Tom (one of the workers here) was telling us that the owner of the restaurant we usually eat at on teaching nights was sick, and that her husband thought she had Dengue fever, which is a disease transmitted by mosquitos. He was all, "So the common version is just a severe type of flu where you feel like your muscles and joints are going to explode, and then the other version is called hemorrhagic fever where you sort of bleed internally and die." He told us not to be too worried, and I vowed to keep myself covered in bug spray.
Well this morning, after not sleeping much last night and waking up with an even bigger fever and feeling indeed like my muscles, joints, and eyes were exploding and finding the characteristic rash, I became a little more concerned. This afternoon, Ann (Tom's wife) came over and confirmed that I do indeed have Dengue fever. Well, shoot.
To be clear, the internal bleeding is rare, but they're keeping an eye on me and if my fever is still hanging around tomorrow, we'll head to the hospital for some blood tests. I'm not too worried, but the pain is almost unbearable. I don't know how to describe it other than saying it's like the worst flu I've ever had combined with feeling like I just got done running a marathon and lifting copious amounts of weights after not exercising for two years. So yeah, I'm in a lot of pain.
I'm also discouraged because I'm quarantined to this apartment until at least Monday and probably Tuesday. Ann said that the fever should break sometime tomorrow, and then I should just feel like I've been hit by a bus for about a week. Awesome. This means I miss out on teaching and our 4th of July party on Saturday, which I'm super bummed about.
If anyone reading could pray for me, that would be great!
- Pray that my teammates aren't affected (it's not airborne, but if a mosquito bites me and then bites one of them, it's likely they will get it, too)
- Pray for quick healing and that the fever is gone by tomorrow
- Pray that I will not be discouraged by this time where I just lay around this apartment. Pray that I will find purpose in all the alone time that is ahead
- Pray for Dani, my co-teacher, as she'll be teaching at least four classes without me. She'll probably have people helping her out, but it stinks nonetheless as we work really well together
- Pray that I'll be able to keep building relationships with the students despite not seeing them for awhile and missing out on class and the party
- Finally, just pray for the pain - that it would at least become a little less intense. Pretty much all I feel like doing is sleeping (which I have been doing a lot of). The pain behind my eyes is probably the worst.
Thanks friends! God is good, and even if I spend the next five days in this apartment with little social contact, I will praise Him. :)